On my continuing crusade against an oily t-zone, I started using blackhead removing strips to help clear my pores out. They work great, but in order to get all the areas I want to address I end up cutting up five strips to cover my forehead, nose and chin. There had to be a better way.
What I really wanted was a mask that I could apply to all my problem areas and pull off in one piece that would also be effective in removing my blackheads. I used the charcoal mask – the one that feels like you’re ripping a layer of your skin off…because you are – and while it’s a great exfoliator and de facto dermaplaner, it didn’t do much to clean out my pores. So, when I came across this recipe for a DIY pore cleansing strip I was pumped to give it a try. I was even more pumped when it actually worked!
Mix one packet of unflavored gelatin with one tablespoon of milk in a little cup and microwave it for 30 seconds. Apply a thick layer to your t-zone, let dry completely (about 30 minutes depending on how thick you put on) and then pull that bad boy off taking all your nasty blackheads with it.
And, it costs 50 cents!
Once a week – typically part of Self Care Sunday – I use this peel-off mask (after cleanser, before toner) and follow up with a hydrating serum so my pores have no inclination to produce any excess oil. While I know my pores will fill up with gunk again, I try to prolong that as long as possible by doing this before bed so my newly clean pores can get a solid eight hours without makeup.
Give it a try and let me know how it works for you!
Julie is a self-improvement junkie who loves to travel, wear pretty dresses, eat big breakfast and watch all the sunsets. She’s been there and done that and sharing all her life lessons with you. Read more
- I have a confession to make. I haven’t painted my …Read More »
- While I usually love a good walking tour and learning …Read More »
- Not long ago, I was talking with a friend and …Read More »
- When I taught myself how to knit in college and …Read More »
- I truthfully have no idea how I stumbled upon The …Read More »
- Towards the end of a three week trip through …Read More »
- When I was in grade school, we had this really …Read More »
- As you know, I’m presently on a little European adventure …Read More »
- If you’ve been paying attention or following me on twitter, …Read More »
- As I’m posting pictures from another European adventure to cover …Read More »
- I love a new year, new month, new week, new …Read More »
- As the year comes to a close, I’d like to …Read More »